top of page
  • Writer's pictureBen Nixon

City/Chelsea Stalemate

A stalemate at Stamford bridge as points are shared in a thrilling 4-4 draw in the Premier League last Saturday between Chelsea and Manchester City.

Chelsea hosted Manchester City in the Premier League last Saturday. Chelsea, having struggled for the majority of the season, went into the game with a victory away at Tottenham playing great attacking football. Manchester City were top of the table looking to extend their lead at the top by 3 points. Despite Manchester City’s ruthless home form, they have struggled away from home against the ‘top 6’ clubs picking up the majority of their losses in recent years but went into this game having won the last three head-to-head games with Chelsea all 1-0.


Manchester City netted first following another controversial VAR decision after Marc Cucurella appeared to have pulled down Erling Haaland. The decision to award the penalty was not deemed a clear and obvious error and Haaland netted the penalty in the 25th minute. The lead did not last long as Thiago Silva’s forward run towards the front post resulted in a shot across goal which gave Chelsea the equaliser. Chelsea gained momentum and looked extremely dangerous in the Citizens final third causing issues for the City back line. 8 minutes after they got their reward; ex blue Raheem Sterling converted Nicolas Jackson’s pass across goal to put Chelsea in the lead against his former club. Erling Haaland’s one on one was saved Robert Sanchez just minutes later before Mannuel Akanji converted a short corner from Manchester City crossed in by Bernardo Silva making it all square on the verge of half time.


City came out raring to go and just two minutes after the restart, Erling Haaland got the ball over the line. VAR checked the goal for potential handball as Haaland appeared to have slipped, but luckily for the champions, the ball had crossed the line and City took the lead. The game kept up its fast pace with both teams looking to score next. In the 67th minute the ball lined up for Connor Gallagher to strike from outside the box who blasted it down Ederson’s throat causing him to parry it into the path of Nicolas Jackson who tapped it in to put Chelsea back in the game with 23 minutes of the 90 still to go. In the 86th minute, the ball fell to Rodri who has been in this position many of times for city struck the ball towards goal. Thiago Silva attempted to block the shot but instead changed the balls direction leaving no chance for the Chelsea keeper. The citizens looked to take the win over the line but the fourth official indicated 8 additional minutes and Stamford Bridge erupted as the Chelsea fans thought their team could get back into it. In the 96th minute Ruben Dias brought down Armando Borja giving Chelsea a penalty kick to seal a draw. Up stepped former City youngster Cole Palmer who slotted home a perfect penalty to equalise in what turned out to be a Premier League classic.


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page